What are your hours?
The internet never closes. We do not currently have physical store hours as we do not have a physical store. We are an online retailer. If you want to see or touch something, our show schedule will tell you where we will be.
How do I contact you?
We do prefer email. See our Contact Us page for our email and a contact form. We monitor it and can respond quite quickly using this medium.
If you *must* call us please be aware that we both have day jobs and we *cannot* return your calls during business hours. We will only be able to return calls from people who leave us messages between the hours of 6pm and 7:30pm ET on weekdays.
Where are you located?
The Spinning Loft is a web only retailer. If you are wondering where to ship things or where they will ship from – Silver Spring MD.
Do you offer discounts?
We do offer discounts in certain circumstances. Discounts apply for the following:
- Purchase of a full (intact, no other portions sold) fleece: 10% discount off of retail price of the total amount of fleece
- Orders for Guilds for educational purposes (such as breed studies): 10% discount off list price of order
- Military members: 10% discount off list price of order
- Orders for classes (made by the teacher or class organizer): 10% discount off list price of order
Simply add a note in your order about your applicable discount and we will refund you the discount.
Can I order an ounce or two of some fleeces?
No. We have a 4 ounce minimum purchase on all raw fleece, processed fleece and washed fleece, which is priced by the ounce.
I don’t understand the pricing? How much is the fleece?
Fleece is priced by the ounce. There is a minimum purchase of 4 oz. So if a fleece says $1.79/oz, that is the price per ounce, and a 4 oz minimum purchase means you will pay a minimum of $7.16. We cannot be more specific than price per ounce because people buy how much they want starting at 4 oz. Most, if not all, product descriptions state this information.
I live in the UK. Why won’t you ship to me?
Changes in UK regulations due to Brexit now require online merchants to collect VAT at the point of sale. Given the additional administrative overhead of setting UK-specific pricing, managing VAT registration and payments, and the small number of sales we make to the UK, we have chosen not to ship to the UK.
I ordered and I don’t have my order yet. Why not?
The Spinning Loft is mainly a one woman shop. I work full time (and then some) during the week. Because of this, we ship on weekends, so batches of orders go out for postal pick up on Mondays. This is also why email is the preferred contact method – I can’t take store phone calls at work.
An email with tracking information is sent upon generation of the shipping label. If you haven’t gotten the package yet, please check the tracking information on that shipment notice and it will tell you where your package is. If you still can’t find it, contact us with your order # and we will take a look.
Please Note: Due to current issues with the US Postal Service, please be aware your delivery may be delayed.
I don’t want to scour raw wool, where do I buy processed fiber?
Conveniently we carry breed specific processed fiber as well. The Spinning Loft is your 1 stop shop for all the breed specific fibers!!!
Sales and Returns
All sales constitute agreement to the policies listed below.
What forms of payment do you take?
The shopping cart on the website uses WooCommerce and Square for added security encryption. Square accepts any US-issued and most internationally-issued magstripe or chip cards bearing a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB, or UnionPay logo. At no time does the website store, nor do I have access to, your card information.
At shows, I use Square’s chip reader primarily and the card is visible to you at all times. You can also pay in cash.
We no longer take checks.
I don’t like my fiber/there’s something wrong with my fiber/I can’t spin this!
Sometimes it’s as simple as a cold soak, hotter water, or changing your preparation method to see that the fiber is perfectly usable. For every fleece we have in inventory, we:
– take photos and describe them as accurately as possible. That means you can see exactly what you are getting on every single fleece when you order. Nothing is misrepresented – when a fleece has flaws but is usable, all of that information is disclosed.
– VM and dirt are highly subjective – no fleece goes out unless I can process it. That means they aren’t too dirty to bother trying to spin. Some breeds we stock have fewer than 300 breeding ewes. Our stocking these breeds helps shepherds ensure these sheep do not go extinct. We cannot improve fleece when sheep are threatened with extinction. We do our best to work with shepherds to improve them, but priority is survival first.
– We inspect the fibers going into each order when we ship to insure soundness and spinnability.
That said, we will do our best to make our customers happy and we want to resolve any issues. All fiber sales are final, but may be replaced at our discretion if there truly was an undiscovered flaw in the wool. See below for our return policy.
We accept returns on books and equipment with defects within 15 calendar days of date of delivery, and with prior authorization from The Spinning Loft.
Refunds on non-defective items are solely at our discretion, with prior authorization, and only if the item is in saleable condition with all parts, instructions, original packaging present, and with proof of purchase (receipt). There is a 15% restocking fee for returned items that are not being exchanged and are not damaged. Refunds are contingent upon inspection of item(s) once received by The Spinning Loft. Items must be in “new, unaltered and unused condition”. Definition of new, unaltered and unused condition is:
– Showing no signs of wear or damage in any way.
– Within 15 calendar days of the delivery date (after 15 days no returns are allowed).
– Must not be a special order or a custom order.
– Unless noted that it cannot be returned or has a different return policy time period within that product’s particular item description.
When approved, we will issue a refund of the original item purchase price. The customer is responsible for all shipping charges.
Items returned to The Spinning Loft without prior authorization will NOT be refunded.
Please call or email to obtain authorization before returning any item.
All fiber sales are final, but fiber may be replaced solely at our discretion if there truly was an undiscovered flaw in the wool, and if we have the same specific breed fiber in stock at that time. You must contact us within 15 calendar days of date of delivery to be eligible for replacement.
In the case of goods damaged during transit through the postal system, do not throw away box or damaged item(s). Contact your local post office immediately. Please also contact us within 5 days of receipt so we can assist in the claim process.
Please note, Prices and Product Availability Subject to Change Without Notice.
I want to fondle the fibers. What events will you be at?